Friday, May 4, 2007

While You Were Sleeping dinner

Yes, like the dinner scene in that movie...only we are more hilarious and random. So, Daniel, where can I place an order for 20 meters of Iraqi modesty cloth? haha. My son would throw the biggest hissy fit. And that would be distracting in sacrament meeting. Mom, I think I would still be yelling if Ari pulled my boob to kingdom come, regardless of the draping techniques. I agree Elizabeth, we've got to get more comfortable with breastfeeding in public in the US. No woman should ever have to be made to feel like a second class citizen. I was talking to my visiting teachers about it, and the one lady had to sit in a the bathroom stall on the other side of a church building, and every time the door closed the lights would go off- it was automatic! She was too embarassed to ask for help. She said she hoped I could change things for the women in the church, but that she could never bring it up with any of the priesthood holders. Oh geez. I wish more women had your guts Elizabeth...then I wouldn't be in this awkward situation. I have never really been a mover and a shaker- I've never tied myself to a tree to save it or anything- but I get excited when I see real changes going on. I was so impressed that Dick Cheney got booed at BYU! Finally, some debate and courage from the red state Mormons. Jarem and I have re-registered to vote, taking our names off the Republican lists, and asking to be independents. We think that if everybody did that, we'd have much better candidates to vote for- not two branches of government that compete to see who can raise the most money and lie the best. We're going to watch the two debates online when we get a chance. I'm so excited for these elections. For the first time I'm voting for who I think will lead this country the best. Jarem is despairing that I'll vote for Hillary Clinton just because she's a woman. Well, I might vote for her, but only if I like her record and her politics. I want to know why New York loves her so much. And Barak Obama is interesting me as well. I bought his book, and I'm reading it with an open mind. McCain and Rudy are blah. Romney, well, I'm not sure about him. He may not make it past the primary, but if he does I'll check out his record as well. The Fred Thompson thing is hopeful, but he probably won't make it either. I think it would be awesome to have a woman president. I just wish it could be Condi Rice. Okay, how'd I get off on this tangent? Oh yeah, me as an activist. See, I firmly believe this church is far behind in women's rights, but I also firmly believe it is the only true church- so there you have it, a "confliction" (which is Oregonians' favorite word lately, but I'm not sure it's even a word). I will keep breastfeeding because it's good for our son, but I'm not sure I want to be a posterchild for LDS breastfeeding mothers. Elizabeth! You'd be perfect. You could take it all the way to the top- President Hinckley. Oh wait, wouldn't the top be God?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Church may be behind in somethings but that is only because of the members themselves. It was hard for everyone to accept polygamy. Joseph Smith put off it's introduction because it was hard for him to accept it. Heber J. Grant almost starved himself to death worrying about it until his wife told him to accept it. It was hard for a lot of members when they did away with polygamy.
    Tons of members left the church when they gave the priesthood to African-Americans. We are seldom ready for change on the Lord's time table but He seams to get things started as early as he possibly can without it getting killed by us mortals. If the church was restored one year earlier it may not have survived. It barely did as it is.
    So, go women go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to vote for Mitt Romney because he's Mormon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just barely got your post title. :) I'm slow. I love that movie! I think we have better table conversations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I understand your reasoning behind registering as independents, I think it is unwise. You have basically given away your vote for the primarys. There is no way that the "two candidate" system is going to change in the near future, so why would you give away your chance to take part in deciding who one of those two is? I am not Republican. I disagree with a lot of the platform's goals and ideals, but I understand that the primary is as important if not more important that the final presidential election. Because the primary is so important, I decided that I would like to take part in it. Because I want to take part in it, I decided to register as a Republican because I feel that the moral issues are more important to my salvation that are the economic issues. Look at how long we have had this bipartisan system for the presidential election and understand that it is not going to change any time soon. I thought it was interesting that you said "Romney, well, I'm not sure about him. He may not make it past the primary, but if he does I'll check out his record as well." If you had not changed your status to independent, you could be looking into Romney now and you could actually take part in the decision as to who the Republican party will put up as its candidate. To be honest, I would rather you guys register as Democrats before you waste your primary vote by registering as independents. Again, I understand your desire for better and more candidates, but if you think your change to independent will affect that, you are sorely mistaken. And no, I am not going to vote for Romney because he is a Latter-day Saint. I am going to vote for him in the primary because he is the candidate that will have the best chance of helping this country recover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan means to write "than" instead of "that" a couple of times. :) The "t" isn't even anywhere close to the "n" on the keyboard. :) Nice Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Dan, I made a mistake in saying we registered as independent. What I meant to say is that we registered as undecided- in Oregon there is no independent option on the registration. But you're right, I didn't think about the primaries...we may not be able to vote in them as undecideds....I don't know anything about that. huh. I gotta look into that.

    ReplyDelete