Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

The great debate continues...I think I will print all these posts and send them to a mothering magazine- after I plaster them all over our church bulletin boards. I am very impressed with the different views on this subject, and thanks Dan, for posting! I think you, Jarem, mom, and Elizabeth have points that are understandable, clear, and concise....and with lots of humor. I especially like the focus on the size, or lack thereof, of my breasteses. And the Argentinian women! haha! I wonder if that would work- if I pulled my whole shirt up each Sunday until they protested- then would they be calmer about a very modest single boob? That was funny Dan, and even better because I bet you and your fellow missionaries had to learn to deal with it pretty quickly. You did the polite "eye averting", didn't you. And mom, I really wondered that about obeying the bishop because we sustained him, etc. I wondered if I was being proud, and if I should humble myself. But then I realized that I wasn't trying to stand up to the bishop, or the Lord. And I was not sinning. So I should not be made to feel like a sinner. I have not broken God's laws, if anything I am following the path He wants me to take by getting married and having children. That is what this church is all about! And yes, mom, modesty is a HUGE part of this church, to the point that it becomes a problem. Women can walk around in miniskirts and super low cut tops (exposing more boob than I ever do) at church, but I get a lecture and admonition to cover up while feeding my child. I would love it if they had a mother's lounge! Of course, I wouldn't pay as much attention, but hey, human nature. :) Out of sight, out of mind. Oh, and I also thought about sitting in the back, Dan, but the problem with that is the back is one row against the wall, and then the doors and the walkway. The back is busier and more visible than the front, where no one ever sits. But you're right about the bishopric on the stand. Jarem wonders if the bishop is really involved anyway. The relief society president said "some of the elders objected" and Jarem had another man come tell him to "tell your wife to cover up, or the bishop will be upset". We don't actually know if the bishop is behind that, or if these men are just being, well, judgmental. You all know how small towns are, and how people love to stir up controversy. This is a really small town; the ward just converted from their branch status. I told Jarem that I wanted to bear my testimony this coming fast Sunday. We had the missionaries over for dinner, and they said there are 45% active, and 55% inactive. I was stunned. That is a super high percentage of inactive people! And I wondered how that could happen. I mean, church is about building your relationship with the Saviour- how could people choose to stay home? Suddenly, I am confronted with people that really hurt my feelings at church, and I now know why others leave. It would be very easy to get offended, and feel not wanted, and let others go while I stayed behind. But then I would be the loser, and my son, and my husband. And I will not let other people rob me of those years of blessings. As Jarem says, if they are offended by me breastfeeding, let them leave and miss out on all the great things church has to offer! Ari just laughed in his sleep "hooha"- that's awesome. :) Anyway, I wanted to bear my testimony about how we all need to be closer to the Lord, and exersize a little more tact and forebearance and love. I want to help the inactives come back to church now. I think I will make that my new focus for the next year. I'm going to find these people, and tell them "damn the man!" Come back! The Lord wants you, and who cares about silly humans and their own problems. I'm going to read Elder Bednar's talk again- it was excellent. The one about inactives. Hmm, I seem to have gotten off topic. It must be my 2:30 in the morning brain. This is the only time I have to catch up on paperwork, emails, blogs, bills, letters, etc. Ari eats all day pretty much! He's growing fast. I love his new chubby legs. I like fat babies. Anders and Soren are so cute and chubby. Oh, here comes the train. Huh. Ari will be awake in 2 seconds, needing food when the train passes. He's darling. Well, gotta go. This blog is really helping me mull over things and consider different views. I appreciate it all, and no, mom, I don't think you're victorian. I think you are a great spiritual lady. Does anybody know if Joseph is married yet? Granny called me yesterday, I have to call her back. She's in Utah, and she wants to know when Jarem and I are bringing Ari to see his greatgrandma. I told her next year, and she says that's not good enough. She says I have a month. :) Dad, I need to find that China Study book. I am interested in finding out what the food patterns are like. What do you and mom eat? I bet it wouldn't fill me up. I have to eat TONS of food each day- I'm hungry every hour, and I need solid foods like beef to stay full. If I eat a salad I'm hungry in 1/2 an hour. Daniel, you said you tried the diet? How was it? Oh, and Daniel, feel free to chime in about breastfeeding- I bet you have a huge problem with that in Bagdadi wards. HAHAHA. Dan, I really think you and Elizabeth should write a book together. It would be the funniest book ever. I know that's not a word.....more later

0 comments:

Post a Comment