Friday, May 4, 2007

China Study responses

Responses to my China Study e-mail

I suspected that this e-mail could stir up more interesting reaction from people than just about anything else I’ve written and disseminated. Following are some unusual responses, in the order they were received.

Don Livingstone (director of the Center for Entrepreneurship at Brigham Young University)

It’s that Kelly Ogden again, taking me out of my comfort zone and putting me into a new area of frustration. Most of the time it’s about spiritual things. That I can live with, because I worry about “being at ease in Zion.” But now you are coming between me and a steak. That’s putting our friendship on new tenuous grounds!

We are visiting with our son-in-law and daughter in New York and their first little child born twelve days ago. We went again to the Manhattan Temple today and marveled at how the House of the Lord can be such a peaceful island in a city of chaos and noise. There’s a message there – an Ogdenism waiting to be written. Actually, the insulation from the noise of the city comes because the temple is a second building “built inside of a building” – built within the walls the Lincoln Center chapel, with lots of sound insulating between the walls of the temple and the external walls. When we build a spiritual self inside of our physical body, we can be insulated from so many of life’s challenges. So there is your Ogdenism – go to it and give it your usual eloquence.

Now for the ultimate question, or rationalization. I tried opening your attachment on the China Study, but it hasn’t opened yet. If I don’t get it open before we go out to the restaurant in ten minutes, then I can have a “carnivore special” dinner and not feel bad about it. But then I’ve read your e-mail enthusiastically endorsing the principles of the China Study, so I already know the general principle. Steak or fish or poultry – or noodles and salad? Aw shucks – as Marsha says, “When we rationalize, we’re merely telling ourselves ‘rational lies.’” I hate it when conscience overpowers carnality, when it comes to food. I can rationalize that in the Congo we will have something other than grains about once every blue moon, so what’s wrong with a steak tonight? But when you know what’s right, you start now, and don’t defer obedience.

Blessings on you and Marcia as you do your important work. Two months from today, we are on the plane on the way to the Congo. With the Lord’s help (and about 18 hours of study each day), we may be ready! Love and best regards. Don and Marsha Livingstone


Helen Wells (wife of Elder Robert E. Wells)

Thank you again, Kelly and Marcia, for your great example, and for keeping us on your email list! We always appreciate and learn from your teachings, and now to have this excerpt from The China Study info, it’s like something I could have collaborated with. Marcia and I must have gone to the same “nutritional school” in the pre-mortal life. I have tried to teach those concepts to my family; some have taken, some not. Hope they will read this excerpt, as I will forward it on to my family. Love to everyone there. Helen and Bob


Liz Lemon Swindle (renowned LDS artist)

Dear Kelly,
I just read your email and the attachment, The China Study. Thank you for responding to the Spirit! This subject has been part of my daily prayers for some time. I am scheduled to leave for Africa in June to do a piece on the Savior with the orphans of the Aids epidemic and have been very concerned with my health. Don’t get me wrong, I am in very good health. I gave up white sugar and flour about a year ago and dropped about forty pounds, but still have problems with my digestive tract. I eat the whole grains religiously and fruits and vegetables but I still have the meat, which after having read your email this morning will be giving up. I believe, because the Spirit tells me so that my problems are coming from the meat and perhaps not enough of the fruits and veggies. I am curious as to whether salmon (fish in general) and poultry are considered among the meat group? Please respond. Because it is Sunday I cannot run out and buy the book, but rest assured that will be the first thing I do tomorrow! In the meantime, thank you. You brought the answers that I sought from my Heavenly Father. All our love and prayers for you and the great work you are doing there.


Daniel Ogden (our son)

So I tried the China Study for three days right when I got back here [to Baghdad]. I ate no meat and no dairy products. I didn’t even put butter on my bread. By the third day I was going crazy. I broke down and had a Chicken Cordon-Bleu and a small piece of caramel flan. It tasted delicious. It was like having my first real meal after being released from a concentration camp.

I got too hungry between meals. I like the way I eat. I’m trying to cut down on meat, but the dairy is going to stay. I like my biscuits and gravy every now and then, and I love having milk with my peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I eat dessert maybe once a month, so I think I’m doing ok.

I might be able to that when I get home and I have good things to snack on all day long, but right now it just causes unnecessary discomfort. I have a hard enough time finding things I actually want to eat in the chow hall. Plus, I don’t want to lose any weight.

Oh, and I’m waiting for President Hinckley to announce in general conference that we need to follow the China Study. Ha, just kidding.


JaNeal Freeman (wife of BYU religion professor, Robert Freeman)

Dear Bro. Ogden, Robert shared with me your recent e-mail as I have been working to improve my diet over the past couple of years. I still have not read the China Study, but am very aware of it (your e-mail has reminded me that I need to get to it and I will). I did go to the lecture that Dr. Campbell gave at BYU recently and was most impressed.

I don’t want to make this a lengthy note, but I will attest to the power of plant-based, whole foods. I am not there 100% but I am closer than I ever dreamed I would be. Further, I know that it has made a profound difference in my health. A friend recently told me, “I never understood the Word of Wisdom until after I lived it.” The “do’s” of the Word of Wisdom are too easily overlooked because the “don’ts” are so obvious. It hasn’t been the easiest transition and I still am trying to feel my way around how to balance the social aspects of eating—especially where close friends and family are concerned. And then there’s the roast beef at that BYU Spring Social . . .

Anyway, I just wanted to say “amen,” and thank you for your words! I have felt like a bit of an oddball at times and am grateful to see people like yourself embracing this way of life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Dad, these are very positive comments, and feedback from some important people. I am impressed that you answered their prayers! It is so interesting to see how the Lord works, even through emails. That lady who is going to Africa? Tell her that not eating meat will probably save her system from lots of parasites on her trip. I didn't eat meat in Chile, and I did in Korea, and I wish I hadn't. Jarem and I are searching for the China Study, we want to read the whole thing now too.

    ReplyDelete