Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Holy Schmolies

Here is a cute picture that you will love. I caught a whole family eating lunch, including the baby. They own the little cubicle of goods they sell at the market. I actually tried to get a picture from the man's right side but he held up his hand so I couldn't take the picture with her breast showing. Darling family.

Good thinking Jarem. I enjoyed your reasoning. I only saw a couple of holes in it. I didn't clarify well my views when I talked about culture. I should have said sub-culture. I agree totally with everything you said about nursing in our dominant culture, out there. But in our LDS sub-culture, at church, it shouldn't be done publickly.


LDS people are modest people by nature. Find a way to do it modestly. We are also reverent people. We bring little dry cheerios to church for the toddlers to eat quietly so as not to distract from the spirit of the meeting. We don't whip out the yogurt, milk, bowls and spoons, fried chicken etc., to feed the children, and for obvious reasons.


A slurping, burping, gassing baby is a distraction. Members are routinely asked to take their little distractions out. The breast is a distraction - poor bishopric. Wow, Sister so and so is a size double D! Poor Sister elsewhere, flat as a pancake. Come on guys, give me a break. We come to worship and ponder. Take the little (or big distractions) out. People should not have to deal with the bare breast during sacrament meeting nor all the noise.


Elizabeth, you are so correct about the fact that Sara has a legitimate right in going to the bishopric to ask for a decent place to nurse. Now there is a worthy crusade. Jarem, you are right; she should not have to sit on a toilet lid to nurse; but I knew that in Jerusalem we were lucky to have any place to meet. I actually didn't mind leaving the meeting since my babies were so cute and I couldn't pay much attention while they nursed, burped, gagged, spit up, blew out and screeched if they became disconnected.


One other point since we are having so much fun with this. Don't ever forget that you sustained one of the Lord's servants when you raised your arm in support of your bishop. Even if you disagree with your bishop, you have a responsibility to follow his counsel while still pushing for some very needed changes. Love Marcia/Mom


ps Are you supposed to sign out with love and all that?
pps Did somebody take a dig at me, that I might belong to some antiquated, victorian, pruddy generation? If I weren't so old I would issue a challenge for a duel. Nap time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment