Friday, May 25, 2007

So do Jews baptize?

haha we're warmer than you Elizbaeth! nener nener. Dad, do Jews baptize? Did they ever? I was reading an exerpt from the Pope's new book- Jesus of Nazareth- and he said that Jews had a tradition of baptizing sinners...is that true? A few weeks ago one man came up to me at church and asked the same question- he said they were arguing about it in priest's quorum. I said I didn't think so, but I'd ask my dad. They don't baptize people now, right? And if they ever did, how did they do it? Like the Catholic sprinkle? Or the evangelico dunk? Thanks. Also, mom, everyone is saying that Ari is changing to look more and more like me, and like "your brother who came that one Sunday to church". Does he look like us now? Look at the new pictures of him on our site, the ones on the couch. Do you have any pictures of me, or Joseph, when we were 2 months old? Or were those the ones lost in Africa? Thanks twice.

7 comments:

  1. Not anymore! Now we're warmer. And I believe it's neener neener.... And I also believe it's evangelical, not evangelico. :) You've got to stop staying up so late! :) j/k. Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sara, the Jews have been baptizing for a long time -- longer than any Catholics or any other "Christians" (except members of God's true Church over the ages, of course; baptism has been on the earth since Adam and Eve were baptized). So, yes, the Jews do baptize, and were baptizing for centuries before John the Baptist. Only they don't use the Greek word and call it "baptism." They refer to it as ritual immersion. They've performed immersions since ancient days for ritual purification. Remember the immersion pools or "baptismal fonts" at Qumran?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phooey! That last comment, my reply to you, says "mom" said...

    It's prevaricating. That explanation came to you through the mind and fingers of DAD! Now watch, this one is going to say "mom said" also.

    Oh well. I don't have time to figure out how to change the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting...so do Jews baptize now? Do they send out missionaries? How do they become Jews? Born into the covenant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Sara, Ari looks a lot like you did as a baby. I do have lots of pictures of you as a baby. Next year when we unpack I'll send you some.

    He doesn't yet look so much like joseph as a baby. Joseph was very blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sara, I forgot to say that I have seen your most recent pictures of Ari on your website. He is darling in his new duds and sitting on the couch. I copied it to get a print. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what is the symbolism in baptism for a Jew. To us it symbolizes the death, burriel and ressorrection of Christ. What does it mean to them, or do they just do it as a tradition without thinking of the meaning. I guess there are historical washings in the old testiment they could look to for a reason, but do they have a specific meaning symbolism they associate it with?
    Ps, Sara still can't say evangelical in English without first saying it in Spanish. It's fun to watch her get tongue tied.:)

    ReplyDelete