Friday, May 4, 2007

To Mom, Need Help....

Wow! That's an awesome array of responses, Mom. It just goes to show how conscientious most people are about their eating habits. My own diet has been faltering lately. I'm lacking variety and I don't know how to fix it. It seems like the only grain I'm getting is whole wheat. I can't stomach brown rice...the taste and texture make me want to gag. And you can only eat so many veggies before you feel like you're eating every minute all day long just to feel satisfied. With nursing, I need something filling and hearty. I just don't know how to do that. I made chocolate chip cookies today. It's my first real conscientious break from eating healthy, and it doesn't feel good. They were yummy, but not worth it. I need a motivational moment, Mom, can you give me one?! And I need ideas for healthy eating with variety.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. The cookies were delicious, but I ate eight of them. Now I feel sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaaaaa, funny Dan. Mmmmm, I love chocolate-chip cookies. Lizzie, I know what you mean about trying to find variety. I did that China Study thing for three days and gave up. Now I'm just back to my healthy eating style, but nothing extreme. I stay away from meats (I'll eat a little fish every week), but I eat everything else....in moderation. My dessert is a peanut-butter and honey sandwich twice a day. I never touch any of their other desserts and don't really want them.....probably because they aren't home-made goodies. The Word of Wisdom says to eat meat sparingly and then to eat lots of grains, fruits, and vegetables. I think if we do that we'll be just fine. I try to eat more vegetables every day now even though they don't taste very good to me. Moderation + exercise = good health (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lizzabeth, I completely understand that problem with eating all day and not getting full! Jarem made me the yummiest dinner last night- a huge salad with chicken, asparagus, olives, spices, etc...a big pile of corn, and lots of steamed endame, with a yogurt pie slice for dessert. I was in heaven! Did that last long? Nope, about 1/2 hour. It's so annoying. When I eat a big mac from McDonalds, I'm full for hours and hours- probably because it's nasty fake stuff. Why can't food that's good for you be filling? I usually try to throw chickpeas on salads for more protein, but that's the only other suggestion I have. Now I want choc-chip cookies...thanks a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nice thing about going off the natural diet once in a while is that you don't feel well after eating like that. So, little by little your episodes are fewer and farther between.

    Daniel, the reason fruits and vegetables don't taste good is because our other foods are too salty or too sweet. Fruits and vegetables begin to taste better when you have less sugar and less salt in your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth,
    Take favorite recipes like your chocolate chip cookies and sub whole wheat flour for white, honey for sugar (3/4 cup for every cup of sugar), and eggless mayo for eggs (1/4 cup per egg). You can make pancakes that way, too. You can buy whole wheat pasta. You can also buy Lundberg brown rice which is nicer than ordinary brown rice. Throw in some wild rice with it. Go online for suggestions. There is a blog site called veganlunchbox.blogspot.com. Good luck. It's fun, very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete