Sunday, April 22, 2007

Shooting From the Hip

Today was our last Sunday in the Orem College 4th Ward. We'll be attending the family ward for our area starting next Sunday since Dan is graduating and we've been in student wards for over four years! In sacrament meeting today the two assigned speakers finished with a half hour left in the meeting. I think Bishop Chesney had planned on having time to address us, but I don't think he planned on having that much time. He decided to solicit a little help to fill the time and he called on Dan to come up and answer a question. "Shooting from the hip," Bishop called it. I was a little nervous for Dan, probably because I would be petrified to have to answer a question I'd had no time to ponder before-hand, but as usual, he was a natural! Bishop Chesney asked Dan to tell everyone how his law school education had affected his understanding of the Savior's atonement for us. That's a loaded question! Dan, however, readily answered that throughout his schooling they had gone over case after case where justice was served. Inevitably, someone walked away from a court decision disappointed. Thanks to the Savior's atonement, however, while justice will be executed, so will mercy be present at the final judgement. Dan said that while our laws on this earth are imperfect, the Savior has offered us a way to become perfected through Him. I was very impressed with Dan's on-the-spot answer. Of course, he was much more eloquent than I have been in the retelling, but the message is still there. I love my husband! He is deep, insightful, spiritual, intellectually stimulating, and so much fun to be around!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I would be sweating if the bishop did that to me. I don't think well on the spot like that- good job Dan!

    ReplyDelete